Thursday, March 24, 2016

My Life, in My Car

Taken from my recent Facebook post...
People sometimes say the car you drive can say a lot about you. I love my car.
If I were to describe Trixie as a person, I'd say she's practical, fun, and efficient, sporty and pretty. She's petite, a little old school with her stick shift, bright, easily recognizable by friends, has some upgrades (sun roof, nice wheels), and she loves music. She's not fussy and expensive, but top-of-the-line as far as Matrixes go, and she's a special limited edition. She's into safety, but it's not all she's about- she is pretty fun too. She likes to go fast and sometimes she'll surprise you, but knows she's no sports car and she's ok with that.
There's been times where she's had a little too much junk in the trunk, but never stays that way for too long. Doesn't mind getting dirty, but looks great all cleaned up. I've gotten better at taking care of her and keeping up on her maintenance in recent years (it gets more important as she gets older). She's reliable and dependable, and always up for a road trip, or making room for a friendly dog. She's been through a lot out here in LA, gotten a little banged up but she actually looks great for her age.
Perhaps an allegory for my life in California...  I had just moved 2500 miles from home and was feeling really sad and alone when she went into the shop for a whole new front end- just three months after I got her- a rude awakening for both of us that California was going to be a challenge. I had a raging fever the night her battery died and we both needed a friend to help at that moment (thank you Mari <3). I've never been stolen like she has, but I've definitely felt lost, and had things taken from me- and needed some TLC to fully recover. She's had accidents and I've made mistakes, some my fault, and some at the fault of others - luckily none that were too serious. She's had parking tickets, and I've certainly had to pay for sitting in the same spot for too long.
Anyone who knows me knows I love Trixie, but I have thought lately about the possibility of trading up- to something for the future. Something a little more efficient, a little safer, with a little more room for friends and family, and the adventures that go with them. Something with a little better view of the road ahead.
Amusingly, the car I want is actually the same color as Trixie, is slightly sporty, reliable, limited edition, and best version of itself available- like my car now. It's not high maintenance or overly expensive. It's basically the same car, just a little better and more grown up.
I'll be getting there soon. Trixie's gotten me this far, and Trixie 2.0 will hopefully take me where I want to go.
What do you drive? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment